Friday 26 July 2013

A little break from polishes - homemade tote bags!






A few months ago I started a new job, working in a haberdashery that also does alterations, dressmaking and general crafts. Before starting here I'd never used a sewing machine in my life and didn't know the first thing about sewing. It's something I'm starting to develop a serious passion for - it's very easy to get lost in creating something. The first thing I made (with the help of my boss) was a denim tote bag - I made a few mistakes with it, safe to say it didn't turn out brilliant, but I was so pleased with it! I've since made a few more bags, a purse, and have ordered some more fabric and I'm going to start looking into creating other things, different styles of bags, and hopefully will start to make clothes! For now, I just wanted to show two of the bags I have made. They aren't fantastic, there are still bits of thread hanging off them (I swear I cut it all off, but every day I keep finding more and more!) and I still have bits to learn and master, but for someone who four weeks ago had no idea how a sewing machine worked, I don't think they're too bad!


This is my favorite bag and the one I'm using at the minute. I just think it's soooo pretty. I also had a go at making a matching purse...I decided to put in a divider after I'd already sewn the bottom which was a very silly idea, and I should have unpicked the bottom, but one thing I have discovered is that I really hate unpicking. All part of the learning process I suppose!






This is the tote I made for my mum - hers is taller and narrower than mine.




Has anyone else dabbled in sewing?

No comments:

Post a Comment